Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Dawn of Happiness


 From Ko Phagnan, David and I made our way north to Sukothai spending one night in Bangkok.  Sukothai means "rising of happiness," and it was the capital of Thailand a long time ago.  Now, Sukothai is a big historical site with really impressive ruins.  David and I took a day to rent bicycles and ride around the Sukothai ruins.  The next day, we went to another set of ruins in Si Sanchanalai (about 50km north of Sukothai).
 There are tons of Buddha statues in these ruins, but most of them are pretty burnt and weathered.  This is probably the most in-tact Buddha that we saw.  Unfortunately, the signs at Sukothai don't really explain much of the history of the area.  However, David and I came up with a theory that everything was burnt down at some point or another, because most of the ruins look pretty black.  However, that might also just be how this kind of rock weathers... no idea.
 This is a really big Buddha and a really little me.
 David and I played hide-and-go-seek here.  He ended up having to come look for me, even though I was supposed to be the seeker.  There are a lot of ruins to hide in...
 This is a pretty cool place, right?  Being the lazy person I am, I spent a lot of time just lying around by the ruins and thinking about life.  It's a great place to waste some time.
 This is David looking Buddha-like.
 This is David with our bicycles.  They give pink ones to the girls and ugly ones to the guys.  My bike also had a really nice bell that I used as much as possible (even though there was no one around to ring a bell at...).
 I knooow you might think that all the Buddhas look the same, but I think they're all really great.  Keep in mind that I'm only posting a very small fraction of the Buddha photos I took...
 This is me and David standing in front of the main Sukothai ruin site.
 This is where the photos start from Si Sanchanalai.  Si Sanchanalai is an hour bus ride north of Sukothai and it is much quieter than Sukothai (if that's even possible...).  There were basically no other people in the whole park while we were there.  Si Sanchanalai also had much more impressive ruins than Sukothai.  This was probably one of my favorite places that I've visited so far.
 I like to call this guy the Blank Buddha. 
 From what I understand from the signs (written in pretty bad English), this is a cheti in the khmer style.  I'd like to have one of these at my house when I grow up.
 We climbed up into an old stupa ruin that gave us pretty good views of the ruins nearby.  This is me sitting at the top of the stupa thing.
 This is David at the entrance to a little room on top of the stupa.
 This is what it looked like inside.
 Guess what... More Buddhas!  These are newer ones that were inside a temple.
 This was my favorite ruin out of all of them.  This one has a lotus style cheti thing, and it was located off in the forest before you got to the main site.  It sort of reminded me of a fairytale.
 This is the main stupa of the Si Sanchanalai site.
 This is me chillin with the buddhas.  I think I fit in quite well.
This is the last Buddha we saw.  He's located at the top of the Si Sanchanalai hill, and you have to go up 144 steps to see him.  Every step was definitely worth it.















These pictures were all from yesterday and the day before.  Today, I left David and took a bus farther north to Chiang Mai.  The bus took 6 hours, and I'm pretty exhausted, so I haven't seen much in Chiang Mai yet.  However, from what I have seen, it looks like a pretty amazing city.  I haven't been in a big city for a long time (besides the day in Bangkok), so I'm pretty excited to hang out around here for a while.

0 comments:

Post a Comment