Friday, March 25, 2011

Dancing With Nuns

I just got back from trekking around the Annapurna Circuit.  I'll write a really long post about that in a moment, but I'll first add a couple pictures from immediately before the hike.

Right after my last post, I went up to the Pharping monastery to hang out with Santiago and Maria until trekking plans figured themselves out.  This is roughly what my time at the monastery was like:


I got to the monastery just in time for Losar, which is the Tibetan New Year.  It was perfect: I woke up at 6am to see the sun rising over golden-topped monasteries with brids floating in the thermals, monks chanting, and everyone ringing bells in prayer.  Later in the day, the nuns down the road put on a concert and dance party.  It was culturally informative and hilariously fun all at the same time.  Here are a few pitures:


This is the view of Kathmandu and the Himalayas from the nunnery.

These are the nuns doing their thing. 







From waht I gather, these nuns are dressed up to represent different kinds of buddhas.  They also have special positions for their hands and feet that mean certain things.  The dance looked pretty difficult.









After the program, they put on pop music and we all danced.  Some of the nuns were really impressive dancers.  I wish I had taken some pictures, because it really is a special memory to be dancing to Justin Biber with a 10-year-old nun.  Oh, Nepal.

OK... Massive trekking update coming soon.  Get excited.

1 comments:

DMS said...

cool pictures :) sounds like youre alive and well, I got worried there! I kept calling and someone told me (in nepal-ese? i assume) that your phone was off. When can I call? Whats your schedule like?

Post a Comment